Thursday, December 13, 2012

Did the Greenhouse Work? / Stella Impersonates a Citrus Tree

Stella Does her Citrus Tree Impression: Canon 5D, Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 @1.4
So I stated in my last post that I thought I was getting about 6 degrees of protection from the greenhouse.  After three consecutive nights of freezing weather, it now appears that I underestimated a little.  I use an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer with two sensors, one inside the greenhouse, and one on the fence outside. I am also a dork.  Here are the numbers:


  • Night one: 32.7 degrees inside, 23.2 degrees outside, 9.5 degrees difference
  • Night two: 31.3 degrees inside, 22.5 degrees outside, 8.8 degrees difference
  • Night three: 34.3 degrees inside, 26.6 degrees outside, 7.7 degrees difference

So it was successful. It only dipped slightly below freezing for a short while on night two.  Night 3 had a smaller difference because I initially thought it wasn't going to freeze, so I didn't turn on the Christmas lights until later in the evening.   Overall the average protection was 8.66 degrees, which I think it is safe to round up to 9 degrees.  Not too shabby.

What's most important is that all the trees look fine, even the ones that had to make due with nothing but a crummy blanket. 





No comments:

Post a Comment